20 August 2008

Veep stakes


My older brother asked me for advice on his veep pool for the Dems this year.

Here is what I told him yesterday before the Biden whispers became the talk de jour of the yapping heads in the evening:

Hi Chuck,

I am really not sure because what the media is guessing is so uninspiring. Guess it depends if he wants to play it safe or not. If a gun was to my head I would waffle between Kaine and Biden and then shout out an answer when I heard the trigger click back. Biden if he feels like he needs "experience" and a pitbull, Kaine if he wants someone outside of the Beltway. (Kaine has been a huge Obama supporter from the beginning, but lacks any charisma and executive experience – the later will be grist for the Republican spin machine. Biden has been the most hard hitting of Obama's supporters, but he comes with some baggage and is also from the Senate. It worked for JFK, right? Also note that Obama dispatched Biden to Georgia (the country, not the state) after McCain sent his emissaries and keystone cops Graham and Liberman.)

Darkhorse (and a choice I love): Chuck Hagel, though he says he doesn't want it. If it were my money I would double down on Hagel knowing that it is a fools errand, but it would make me feel good when I lost. (Not sure this analysis is any good, but it is fresh today.)

Here is Time's general take on the Obama's choices and who is being ruled out and why.


A day later, I still stand by my analysis. Just wanted to put it out there before Obama makes his selection in the next few days.


_John

image: from Time

No comments: